The Top 20 Reasons to Love Michael and Joannie Anderson.
(A semi-humorous look at stuff that should be important to you; but you might not know it yet)
20. It’s Definitely Not Our First Rodeo.
- We’ve been creating wedding and portrait images as a husband and wife wedding photography team since 1986.
- That’s long enough to know what a light meter is and how to use it.
- We also know what film is (or was).
- We are the world’s first and only light painting wedding photographers.
19. Feel The Love
Oh yeah, we’ve won some awards too! Brides and grooms have voted us:
- Wedding Wire Couples’ Choice 2017
- Wedding Wire Couples’ Choice 2016
- The Knot “Best of Weddings” 2018
- The Knot “Best of Weddings” 2017
- The Knot “Best of Weddings” 2016
- The Knot “Best of Weddings” 2015
- The Knot “Best of Weddings” 2014
- The Knot “Best of Weddings” 2013
- The Knot “Best of Weddings” 2011
- The Knot “Best of Weddings” 2009
- The Knot “Best of Weddings” 2008
- 2009 “Twin Cities Best Wedding & Portrait Studios”
- 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016 “Minnesota’s Best Wedding & Portrait Studios”
Selected as one of the 21 “Best Wedding Photographers in Minneapolis” in 2017 & 2016 by Expertise.
Joannie & I were inducted into The Knot “Best of Weddings” Hall of Fame in 2015. In the words of The Knot; “They are simply the best-of-the-best.”
And back in 2013, we were selected as an Elite Member of “Best Of Wedding Photography.” An invitation only group of the world’s finest wedding photographers. We are truly thrilled to be included in that kind of company.
18. Extra Baggage.
We are active members of:
- Wedding and Portrait Photographers International (WPPI)
- Professional Photographers of America (PPA)
- Kelby One (formerly the National Association of Photoshop Professionals)
Over the years, we have also invested in many week long photography courses at Mid-America Institute of Professional Photography (MAIPP) at the University of Northern Iowa.
17. Practice Makes Perfect.
Through the years we’ve studied with the Masters of Wedding and Portrait Photography as well as the world’s finest Photoshop® experts. The list includes:
Ben Shirk, John Hartman, Bruce and the late Sue Hudson, Hanson Fong, Mike Colón, Denis Craft, Clay Blackmore, Denis Reggie, the late Don Blair, Angela Carson, the late Monte Zucker, Bambi Cantrell, Ed Pierce, Gary Fong, Eddie Tapp and Scott Kelby.
And that’s just for starters. Go ahead, look ’em up; these guys and gals are good!
16. Share The Love.
Michael has been asked to teach fellow photographers about weddings and portraits too!
15. We’re On A “Need To Know Basis.”
- Michael is expert retouching artist and Photoshop® specialist.
- He was a beta tester of Adobe Photoshop CS5 and Photoshop CS6.
14. All You Need Is Love.
Michael and Joannie donate their time and talents, gift certificates and prints to all kinds of great causes including:
- The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- The Harmon Killebrew Foundation
- Crescent Cove (formerly the Children’s Lighthouse of Minnesota)
- Ralph Reeder Food Shelf
- As well as to schools, hospitals, churches and many other charitable causes in our community.
Need help for something dear to your heart? We’re just a phone call away.
13. A Call For Back-Up.
Unlike many photographers you will encounter these days, we don’t show up at your wedding with a camera or two and a flash. Joannie & I bring an entire portable studio with us! We always carry back-up camera bodies, flashes, pro-lenses, soft boxes & much, much more!
Below is a partial list of what we have available to use at your wedding: click the following link to see the whole extensive list of Anderson’s Wedding Photography Equipment.
- 4 Canon® camera bodies (one of which has been modified to create only Super Color Infrared photography)
- GoPro Hero3+
- DXO One Camera
- WITSTRO MoLight AD360II-C (2)
- MoLight V860II-Canon Speedlight (4)
- 4 high speed Canon flash units – all triggered wirelessly
- 8 unique lenses that range from 15mm fisheye to 600mm
- Light stands, tripod, soft boxes and much more
- Our own custom built (by Michael) golf cart photo light stand – “Lightning McQueen”
Of our 8 lenses, 7 are Canon “L” Series and 2 are Tamron’s SP professional lenses- the really good stuff.
12. Need More Back-Up Please!
- Your wedding & portrait images will be securely stored on at least three hard drives within hours after your wedding.
- Weddings will be on five hard drives within 48 hours of your wedding.
- At least two of which are locked up in our huge safe.
- You just can’t be too careful.
11. Picky, Picky, Picky.
It’s all about making you look good. It’s a win-win situation; ‘cuz it makes us look good too!
- We enhance every single image for every single print and every single Storybook album we create.
We’re talking wrinkle reduction, dark circles under eyes, fly away hair, “opening” eyes, reducing or removing distractions and sometimes even moving or removing people from the image altogether.
It isn’t easy and it takes lots of time. But isn’t that why you hire a professional in the first place?
10. Grandma Says: “If You’re Not Going To Do It Right – Don’t Do It At All.”
We utilize “real” studio lighting with large soft boxes for formal and group portraits.
- This means flattering lighting for your portraits.
- Yes, we’re talking about at your wedding!
- If it’s not windy, we’ll use our large softboxes outdoors on location too!
We employ multiple strobes (up to 8 units) for wedding reception and dance photography.
- This creates “three-dimensional” lighting!
- No “pitch-black” backgrounds at your reception and dance.
Amazing, photographers using light. Who’d a thunk it?
9. When Only The Best Will Do.
Photoshop® is a remarkable software program, however “garbage in, means garbage out.”
- All of your images are created in Camera RAW format.
- We capture in Adobe RGB color space for exceptional image quality.
Then, get this; we convert them all to DNG (Digital Negatives) so that:
- They’ll NEVER become an outdated file that any computer cannot open.
- NO “garbage in!”
- NO jpegs!
8. Show The Love.
We design our own Wedding and Portrait Storybooks from scratch without using templates. Why should your Wedding Storybook be anything like someone else’s?
7. The “Wow Factor!”
All of this means nothing if the end product is junk. Our incredible Storybooks come from a made in the USA company called Finao®.
- They’re simply the best there is. ‘Nough said.
6. Image Is Everything!
Speaking of which, we don’t print ours, we’re photographers not a lab. We use Full Color Lab in Dallas, Texas. They’re amazing. Period.
5. Got Style?
We typically use a combination of styles for creating your images. We tweak it to your personality along with your requests and chosen locations, and of course the weather plays into it, and finally, we sprinkle it with our creative vision.
- At weddings, we like to use a mix of traditional, classically posed images, along with contemporary; photojournalist; indoors & outdoors; candid; funky lenses; grunge or anything else we can come up with along the way!
- In the summer of 2016, we began “light painting” at nighttime at weddings too!
- As long as it’s legal and we’ve got the time, we’ll give it a whirl.
4. Handle With Care.
Your images and your wedding day are as important to us as they are to you!
3. Experience “The Experience.”
We’re a “Husband and Wife Wedding Photography Team”. Each of us creates images using our own unique vision and style.
- We really truly believe that your wedding day should be an experience you’ll never forget. We strive to make it just that.
- We know at the end of the day the two of us will have exceeded your expectations.
We won’t have it any other way. Oh, and by the way, we’re pretty fun to be with too!
2. Love, Love, Love.
I really love being with my best friend at your wedding! Awards and all that stuff are great, but we just love photographing weddings together!
1. Family Is Everything.
To us, it’s all about family. Our daughters, Jen and Michelle are two of the brightest, and sweetest people you’ll ever meet (just like their mother).
- Talk about love; both of them have chosen careers that help other people!
- Jen is a Neonatal Intensive Care Nurse at Children’s Hospital.
- Jen’s husband Ben helps many people get relief from their back pain in the operating room.
- Michelle is a licensed Elementary School Teacher, elementary school coach and adult program supervisor at a local school district and received her Principal’s License in the spring of 2016.
- Michelle’s husband Ben is a mechanical engineer and one of the brightest people I’ve ever met.
Joannie and I are extremely proud of all of their accomplishments and have enjoyed sharing our lives together with them. We love you guys!
And now thanks to Jen & her husband Ben, we have grandkids! Little Riley and her brother Ryder have brought so much fun and love into our family since they arrived on the scene. We have the privilege of hanging out with both of them every Monday!
We know what you’re saying; Joannie and Michael, you’re too young to be grandparents! Of course we are, but we wouldn’t trade it for all the world!